Thursday, January 7, 2021

Snapshot of Myself

 A big portion of a photographer's job is to be behind the camera and taking the pictures. When a photographer posts their work on their social media platform (Facebook, Instagram, personal website), we always see the photos that they took of the people or event. It is a rarity when we can see the face behind the camera. The same is also true for bloggers (I know this to be true from my previous blog that I have). It was rare when I would have a post and attach a picture of myself. 

I decided before I get into my posts on this blog that I would introduce myself so that you could see the face behind the blogger and camera.

If you haven't noticed from the title of my blog/photography business name, my name is Jessica. I am happily married to my husband. We have been married for 11 and 1/2 years. We have FIVE kids; 4 boys and 1 girl in that order. I would talk a lot about my family over on my other blog (https://junewife627.blogspot.com). Yes, I take pictures of my kids to use on my social media platform on Facebook; mainly to show that I am able to do photoshoots with families that have children. We live in Kentucky, and there are many beautiful spots to capture pictures. I do hope I can travel to other places to do photoshoots someday.

A little history on how I got into photography:

I got my first camera when I was 14 (I am 33 now). Yes, I know it has taken me a while to get a business going for photography. I wanted to make sure I had time to practice my skill (which I still make sure  I practice doing something with my camera or somethings with editing everyday) before turning into a business venture. When I got my first camera, I absolutely loved it. My grandfather gave it to me so it was even more meaningful to me. Of course, it was a film camera, not a digital camera, does that show my age? All through high school and college, I was always taking pictures. I am pretty sure my friends probably got tired of having their pictures taken. Ha! 

It wasn't until my husband and I had our first child that I knew that I really wanted to try to pursue photography more. I had my college degree in something completely different, but I wasn't using my degree, so I thought what is something I love doing that I could also turn into a business venture? Photography was the first thing that came to mind. 

I got a digital camera in 2013, it was a small one and it replaced a previous one I had. However, in February of 2015 I got my first big camera. It was a FujiFilm camera. It lasted me until the summer of 2019. Which brings me to my current camera, a Nikon D3500 which I love! I hope to keep it for at least another 2 years. I have always loved the editing aspect of photography as well. I don't over edit pictures, I subtly edit. There is something about editing that is very relaxing for me (I can probably do a post on editing in the future). 

Photographers have little taglines to give their business a theme. I have been using: 'Helping people to capture memories that will last a lifetime'. I definitely think a picture holds so many memories. When someone in the future finds the picture they will remember the day it was taken. I hope that as their photographer that I was able to bring joy to their photoshoot/event. I hope that they remember all of those same feelings that they felt on that day as well. That is the biggest reason I do what I do. 

Below are some pictures of my kids that I have taken to use for my photography business. I have also included a family picture (it was taken by my sister in law who is also a photographer). 

Our 3 year old daughter.

Our 5 year old.

Our 6 year old. 

Our 8 year old. 

Our 10 year old. 


Our family.

Me!

The beautiful Ohio river in Kentucky.

I hope you have enjoyed reading more about me and why I am a photographer. If you have any questions you would like to see answered about photography, feel free to ask it in the comments. Be on the look out for my next post, it will feature my first photoshoot that I did! 

Until next time, go capture your own memories!

I would love it if you shared my blog post, it would mean a lot to me!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your lovely story on photography, and beautiful pictures of your adorable kids. You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wished to be a photographer. I just don't have the eye. You though, obviously do! Keep snapping those shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to know about you and your beautiful family through your photography blog Jessica. I understand how passionate photography can be as I love clicking with my digital camera as well. Love the tag line that you have, it is really apt and so meaningful .Your captures are all fantastic! Wish you all the best .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids are cute - you take great pictures - I am fond of taking pictures too but am no photographer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow very nice to know about your journey into photography. My mother is an ardent photographer and she learnt it by herself reading through books and websites. So I can relate your feelings. The photos of the kid are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you included a pic of yourself. As photographers we often forget that we need to document ourselves not just nature/family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, and I love that you included a picture of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing your short story about yours! Truly wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Photography is so much fun! Splurging on a DSLR camera was one of the best decisions for my blog, it made SUCH a big difference in my photos - and I barely know how to use my camera at all! I just point and shoot, basically. I think it's good that you like to include photos of yourself on your blog; I always enjoy blogs more when I know who is writing the words I am reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a beautiful family and thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading your story and I love your tagline. It meaningful and purposeful. Looking forward to your first photoshoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a lot photos of myself mostly because because my husband is a hobby photographer and I often give him my camera when we go anywhere so he can enjoy his hobby but I feel you: as a photographer I see photos of anything but me most of the time

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading about your background. I relate to you a lot in the sense that I am pursuing photography now and I studied something majorly different in college. Bless you with your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY AND I LOVED THE STORY YOU SHARED WITH US REGARDING PHOTOGRAPHY. WONDERFUL CLICKS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you enjoy taking pictures. I need to develop my skills further but haven't had the time.

    ReplyDelete